How to live stream on TikTok?
How does one enable a live option on TikTok?
Is it possible to make money on TikTok live?
How can one go live on TikTok using Android?
Can one go live on TikTok using iPhone, if possible how?
Does TikTok live work on PC?
These are some of the most common questions that TikTok users are asking today online. So, today if you are among those asking such questions you are now at the right place.
As we already know, TikTok is the most popular platform to post short-form video contents. If you want to ‘tweet’ a video (in the words of Twitter users) TikTok is the platform of choice. From lip-syncing to creating comedy videos, TikTok is a place where you can post a variety of short videos and gain a decent audience for your content.
Among all the awesome features of TikTok it also has a live-stream feature. Unfortunately many users are not aware of this feature. So from your Tik-Tok account, you can actually go live and engage with your audience in a real-time conversation. Incidentally this is the fastest way of making money on TikTok.
But before I share with you the step-by-step guide of how to go live let’s first look at the criteria to be sure you are actually qualified to go live in the first place:
Requirements to Go Live on TikTok
- You should have at least 1,000 followers on TikTok.
- Secondly, you should be 16 years and above to start a TikTok app live stream.
So, now here is a step-by-step guide that’ll help you go live using the TikTok app on your smartphone itself.
Step-by-Step Guide of How to Go Live on TikTok
The truth is that starting a live stream on TikTok or TikTok live is quite an easy task once you understand what to do. As long as you have a TikTok account, you can start a live stream in a split of second.
So here are the steps to go live on TikTok:
Step 1. Install TikTok from your App Store
Step 2. Launch the app and login with your TikTok credentials.
Step 3. Tap the “+” icon at the bottom of your screen and click the “Live” button, which is placed next to the “Record” button.
Step 4. Now, give a catchy title to your live stream. Make sure to be creative as an engaging title will make it easier to attract more followers.
Step 5. Once you’ve added the title, simply tap the “Go Live” button and you’ll go live immediately.
That’s how easy it is to start a TikTok live stream. Once you’re done with the live session, simply click “End Live” to go back to the home screen.
How to Make Money on TikTok Live
TikTok Live is definitely an amazing feature for growing online follower-ship as it gives you the opportunity to interact real-time with your followers. But apart from talking to your followers, there’s another great benefit of going live on TikTok. And this time around it is the monetary reward from it. Yes, you can make money on live streaming. If you have read my post on how to make money on TikTok you would have noticed we did not touch on anything about live streaming. It is on purpose and I will deal with that today.
Let’s walk you through these two methods and also discuss the criteria that you must follow to earn money through TikTok Live.
1. Get Donations from Your Followers
One of the ways to make money using the TikTok live stream is to take donations from your followers. However, this doesn’t work like regular donations. It means that your followers can’t directly send money into your bank account. Instead, they can tip you by sending what is called ‘TikTok coins’.
FYI: TikTok Coins are an in-app currency paid for with real money. You can buy gifts for your favorite creators and Diamonds with Coins to give to someone as appreciation for their work or to say thank you. You can buy TikTok coins using your regular bank card.
Once you’ve collected enough coins, you can convert them into diamonds, which can be further converted into real cash using PayPal. However, you can only pay out these coins once you’ve collected at least coins worth $100 in your TikTok balance.
Earning money by collecting donations is slow as you’ll need a decent TikTok following to make a noticeable amount of money. Moreover, your followers will only send their valuable coins if they like your live stream on TikTok. It means that apart from having enough followers, your live stream needs to be engaging enough that’ll encourage the viewers to send donations.
Note: Since TikTok has a minimum $100 payout rule, you won’t be able to withdraw the amount until you’ve collected at least $100 in your TikTok balance. If you have fewer TikTok followers (less than 100k), it would be a bit challenging to make substantial amount of money through donations. So there is another way.
FYI: Anyone from 16 years old and above can go live, but you can only receive donations if you are up to 18 years old. If you are less the donation button will not be active on your account.
2. Sell Products with Brand Ads
Another way to make money by using TikTok is to sell products with brand ads. If you have a decent TikTok following, brands will automatically reach out to you and ask you to promote their products on your live stream. In exchange, they’ll pay you a fixed amount.
These days many TikTokers have started to make money by selling products from different brands. However, if you’re planning to do brand promotion, make sure to be extra cautious as if you promote a wrong brand, it can easily put a permanent dent on your brand.
The general thumb-rule says that you should first test out a product and check if it’s good or not. Once you’re convinced with the product’s quality, go ahead and promote it in your live stream.
TikTok is a super amazing way of monetizing your video contents but so also is YouTube. And you can find out which of the two pays more or serve better by reading YouTube vs TikTok: Which one pays more?
How to Watch Live Streams on TikTok?
In addition to starting a live stream on TikTok, many TikTok users want to know how to watch someone else’s live stream. If you’ve been struggling to watch live streams of your favorite TikTok influencers, here’s the step-by-step process to watch a live stream.
Step 1. Launch the TikTok app on your smartphone.
Step 2. Next to the “+” icon, tap the “Notification” button.
Step 3. This will prompt you to TikTok’s “Notification Page”. Here you’ll see the “Top Lives” option at the top of the screen.
Step 4. Tap the “Watch” button next to “Top Lives”. This will start playing random TikTok live streams on your phone.
Step 5. You can also browse the “Top Lives” list and watch selective videos as per your interest. To do so, tap the “Top Lives” option at the Notification page and you’ll be prompted to the “top live video gallery”. Browse through the list and click on any live stream that you want to watch.
But there is another way to it too, you can also watch a live stream by searching for a specific user through the search bar. Simply type a username into TikTok’s search bar and you’ll see a red circle around the person’s profile if he/she’s currently doing a live stream. Tap the circle and you’ll be able to join their live stream instantly.
Troubleshooting – Why Can’t I Go Live?
If you are unable to go live on TikTok, you are not alone. Many TikTok users have flooded online forums with the same question. As we mentioned earlier, TikTok has specified certain ground rules for a person to start a live stream on TikTok.
If you don’t adhere to these rules, you won’t be able to go live. Let’s quickly go through these rules once again so that you don’t make any unintentional blunders that might restrict you from going live on TikTok.
• First of all, you must have 1000 followers to start a TikTok live stream. The “Go Live” button will only appear inside your account if you have at least 1k followers on TikTok.
• “Go Live” is still in the beta phase and that’s why it’s not available for everyone. If you don’t see the “Go Live” option, even if you have 1k followers, try updating your app to the latest version or wait for a couple of days until you get the feature.
• TikTok is strictly against the use of abusive language. There are several banned words that any TikTok users cannot include in their videos or live streams. In case any user uses these offensive words, their videos are taken down from the platform immediately. To stay on the safe side, avoid using offensive language during your live stream otherwise you won’t be able to go live next time.
• In many cases, the “Go Live” option isn’t available if a third-party app is using the microphone to record audio. If that’s the case, make sure to close every other app and the “Go Live” button will appear on your account immediately.
How to Go Live on TikTok Without 1,000 Followers
Yes, the guideline says you need at least 1,000 followers to be able to go live. yes, but that is only the default setting. You can actually go live legitimately if you know how and that is what i want to share with you on this section. To be able to do that you need to actually write officially to TikTok to enable that for you. Here are the steps to submit such a request:
1. Open the TikTok App on your phone.
2. Go to settings by tapping the hamburger icon (that is three-dot menu).
3. Scroll down to locate the Support section
4. Under the Support section, tap on Report a problem.
5. Locate Popular section
6. Under Popular section you will find ‘I can’t start a LIVE’, just tap on it
7. You will see the question, Is your problem resolved? Select NO
8. You will get a message saying that your feedback has been submitted
9. It will take about 2 to 3 days before that request will be responded to
10. They are likely to ask you a few questions on why you want to go LIVE. Here is where your persuasion skill will come handy. So be ready to explain yourself well. Among other things explain that your followers are requesting for you to go live.
How to Go Live Using Android
Here is a quick guide on how to go live on TikTok if you are an android user:
- Open TikTok on your android
- Tap the plus button
- Tap Live button
- Enter your live stream title
- Tap Go Live
- Tap X to stop streaming
- Confirm that you want to end the stream.
How to Go Live Using iPhone
Similarly, if you are an iPhone user here is how to go live on TikTok using iPhone:
- Open TikTok on your iPhone or iPad
- Tap the ‘profile’ icon on the button right – but If you’re automatically signed in to TikTok, you can skip this step, and continue from step 4.
- Sign in to your account
- Now tap the ‘plus’ on the bottom-right.
- Tap the LIVE option at the bottom
- Enter a title for your stream.
- Tap the GO LIVE button.
- Swipe left on the camera screen for filters (optional).
- Tap the speech balloon icon on the bottom-left (optional)
- Tap the X button to stop streaming.
At this point, you know everything about how to go live on TikTok. So, it’s time to start your live stream and engage with your followers differently. However, make sure to be creative during the live stream as it will engage more and more viewers. And, if you haven’t crossed the “1k followers” benchmark yet, start creating cool content that’ll get your profile at the top of the trending page.
Finally, remember that whereas anyone that is up to 13 years old can have a TikTok account but it is only those from 16 that can go live. And when it comes to receiving donations, it is only available to those who are 18 years and above.
As you go to build your online business and make money for good, I wish you all the best.
Do you want to invest in the African economy? Then here are good resources for you: