How to Make Money on OnlyFans – The Ultimate Guide 2023
How to make money on OnlyFans – The Ultimate Guide
More and more people are creating video contents and sharing them on sites like TikTok, YouTube, Facebook Reels, Google, Instagram stories and even Twitch to make money. But OnlyFans seems to have taken this to another level by giving creators the opportunity to make money from their works without restrictions on the kind of contents they can share.
However, you must understand that just like every other means of making money online, making money on OnlyFans is not a get rich quick scheme. You must be ready to put in the necessary work. But the good news is that there are couple of tips and tricks you can follow to boost your following and eventually start making cool enough money from OnlyFans. And that is what I intend to share with you on this blog post.
But before we proceed, I will explain some misconceptions about OnlyFans.
Misconceptions About OnlyFans
OnlyFans is perhaps the most controversial social media platform on earth. The controversy is as a result of the misconception people have about it.
Many people think that OnlyFans is a porn site. But that is not a representation of what the site really is. It is actually a great site for lots of niches.
The adult industry only took advantage of the fact that there are no restrictions on the content type to become a major player on the platform.
So whereas pornographic contents make up the bulk of material on OnlyFans, there are many other successful accounts that have nothing to do with nudity. And guess what, those are also making some good money on OnlyFans. For example, if you check the top 10 earners in OnlyFans, you discover that more than 50% of them are sharing general contents.
Popular Topics or Niches on OnlyFans
There are several other niches other than adult contents that sells very well on OnlyFans. The most popular ones among them are:
- Cooking Shows
- Fashion Tips
- Meditations and Alternative Health
- DIY Tutorials
- Video Gaming
- Fitness Coaching / Workout Tutorials
- Lifestyle / Travel Blogging
- Beauty / Make-up Tutorials
- Meditations and Alternative Health
- Recipes / Cooking Tips
Now we have cleared the air about this misconception and can prove that there are other niches wherein one can make money on OnlyFans.
Let’s therefore set aside the bias and look at the platform from a business perspective, so you can discover how to make money from your OnlyFans account.
But before you venture into knowing how to make money on OnlyFans, let’s be clear on one thing. And that is the question of if you can really make money from OnlyFans as you have been told.
Can One Really Make Money on OnlyFans?
There are lots of hypes and exaggerations on social media and internet generally. So you probably have heard that you can make as much as one million dollars on OnlyFans in hust a month. And now you are wondering if that is true. Maybe, you want to know if indeed you can make money on OnlyFans at all.
Well, I will be very blunt with you here.
There are no low money hanging fruits anywhere, else everyone could easily have been Elon Musk already. But then, there is always room on the top. If you are willing to put in the work to climb to the top, that is where the bulk is.
And that also applies to making money on OnlyFans.
Yes, you can make money on OnlyFans whether as a side hustle or as a full time business. Of course, the amount you make as a side hustle cannot be the same as someone who dedicates all his or her time to it.
Later on in this post, I will share specifics on how much you can make on only fans. You can also checkout the highest earners on OnlyFans led by 34 year old Black China who in 2021 made up to 240 million dollars on OnlyFans.
But for now, just know that OnlyFans is one of the biggest platforms of possibilities for creators and you can make so much money from it. But be warned! It doesn’t come easy.
So how can you make money on OnlyFans? I guess you have been waiting for me to answer this question. Now let’s go.
How to Make Money on OnlyFans
Now that you are sure you can actually make money on OnlyFans, let’s now answer the all important question of ‘how?’ There are several ways you can make money on OnlyFans but I will share the 7 most common ones.
- How to Identify Business Opportunities With Examples
- Importance of Entrepreneurship in a Modern Economy
- Why Do People Become Entrepreneurs?
- 12 Core Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs
- Skill Acquisition: Definition, Stages, Types and Importance
- 12 Unique Business Ideas for Introverts
- How to Invest in Index Funds – A Beginners Guide
- Index Funds: What They Are and How They Work
- How Retail Businesses Actually Make Profit: The Untold Secret
- Global Brands That Became More Successful By Changing Their Brand Names
- How Does Venmo Work? – A Complete Explanation of the App
1) Through Monthly Subscriptions
Subscription is the default way of making money on OnlyFans. In fact OnlyFans business model is built with subscription as the major revenue source. And almost all the creators on OnlyFans monetizes their account are through subscription. As a content creator you can charge a monthly fee to allow users access to your contents.
As a creator you are entitled to 80% of the revenue while the company gets the remaining 20%. On the average subscription amount ranges from $5 to $20 monthly. Though there are some accounts that can charge as high as $50/month.
But as a Creator you can also get more creative in your marketing as a means of getting more subscriptions. And that can include giving discounts to regular fans or encourage action by creating limited offers or subscription bundles where users get to pay less by subscribing for specific number of months at a go.
2) Direct Messaging with Fans
Another very popular and lucrative way of making money on OnlyFans is to use direct messaging with your subscribers.
This method is used by a lot of influencers and popular artists on the platform. It ensures that you won’t have to rely entirely on subscriptions alone as your source of revenue. In fact, it is proven that most Creators make money money from this than from subscriptions.
Through direct messaging with fans you will be able to make more revenue from the same number of subscribers by offering things like:
- OnlyFans Pay-Per-View Messages (PPV)
- Locked Posts
- Locked Messages
- Custom Contents
The way it works is this:
- Fans chat you to request specific contents
- You charge them any amount you deem fit
- They pay the fee
- And you provide them with custom content in return.
You can also send PPV messages to subscribers and price-lock them so people can view them only if they pay. Your messages can include photos, videos, audio tracks, etc. And remember you can charge whatever you want for the content.
However, it’s important to note that, while lucrative, this source of income can be extremely time-consuming. And that is quite understandable because you have to respond individually to all the fans who are requesting for contents. And sometimes the contents they need might not even be the same thing. In fact some of them might be requesting contents you have to go create (whether picture or video) specifically for them.
And of course the more more you want to make through this, the more time you should be ready to spend.
3) Asking for Tips From Fans
Another popular way of making money on OnlyFans as a Creator account is to ask fans to send you tips. Tips is a form of donation or ‘freewill offering’ they can make in appreciation of your work they have seen. They can send tips by clicking the “$” icon beneath your posts. They can equally tip you through messages if they so choose.
This is most effective if you do it each time you share high-quality content that you believe people will love. Simply ask your fans to tip you if they enjoy your content – no shame in doing that.
You can also use the tip feature to sell custom content and PPV messages. It is possible to sell any items, whether digital or physical in exchange for tips, including things like:
- Meal plan PDFs
- Workout video tutorials
- Physical books
- Photos, videos, and audio content
- Branded merchandise etc
You can even sell multiple products at the same time. And this is not difficult to do either. You do it by simply creating a tip menu where you list all your items for sale as well as the tip fee. Pin this menu to your profile and ask your fans to let you know what they’re tipping you for so you can send them the right products.
4) Redirect to Other Platforms
Another way you can make money on OnlyFans is to redirect your fans to other platforms. Most of the top earners do actually use this in addition to some of the other methods. Apart from redirecting your fans to your accounts on other social media platforms you can even redirect them to your personal website or blog.
Of course, if you are just getting started, simplicity is probably your best course of action. But, once you’ve amassed a healthy following, you can monetize your account using YouTube, Vimeo, and other social media platforms.
5) Go Live with Your Subscribers
Another lucrative way of making money on OnlyFans is through Live streaming. And all you have to do is to simply set a date and time for going live with your fans. Ensure to inform your fans ahead of them so that they can plan to join. You can use this method to make money in either of two ways.
- Ask your subscribers to tip you during your OnlyFans live streaming: Viewers can offer whatever fee they like if they feel generous or entertained enough.
- Use a payment gated stream: With this method, you will put your live stream behind a paywall so you can have an entry fee. For anyone anyone to have an opportunity of viewing the live stream the person will have to pay. But you need to know that if people pay for a live stream they are not likely to want to offer further tip. So you may be forced to decide on which one you think may pay you better.
6) Affiliate Marketing
As a content creator, there are many opportunities for you to make money on OnlyFans through affiliate marketing.
Simply find programs to promote in your niche, and whenever a sale is made through your recommendation, you’ll be paid a commission.
One of the best things about becoming an affiliate is that you can sell virtually anything through various platforms like Amazon Associates, Share-a-Sale, etc.
Depending on your niche and audience, you can sell everything from:
- Online courses
- Email hosting accounts
- Web hosting accounts
- Hotel bookings
- VPN registrations
- Recipe books etc.
There are 2 key factors to consider which could determine how much you can make as an Affiliate on OnlyFans:
1. The Commission on Offer: Different products comes with different commissions. Some products come with specific amount as commission while others pay in percentage. Always check well to know if the percentage on offer aligns with your money making goal on OnlyFans.
2. The Cookie Lifespan: Cookie lifespan refers to the number of days in which a click on a given product is considered valid. If the cookie lifespan of a particular product is 14 days, it means that after someone clicks on your affiliate link, you have 14 days for them to make a purchase or else you won’t get the commission for that sale. If for any reason someone click on the click and eventually purchase on the 15th day, you have lost the commission on that sale.
From the Affiliate’s perspective, the longer the cookie lifespan the better. My advice is that you should go for products with at least 30 days cookie lifespan.
7) Sponsored Content
The truth is that across all social media platforms, the more followers you have the more chances of making money you have.
And the same is true of making money on OnlyFans. As your OnlyFans account grows, brands in your niche will want to work with you to promote their products or services to your audience. And getting sponsorship is a great way to promote brands that resonate with your content and make money at the same time.
What Contents Sells on OnlyFans?
Like we have stated before, there are several niches that thrive on OnlyFans. So, it is about identifying what your target audience and interested in and creating contents around such interest. However, from experience the following contents have been found to sell heavily on OnlyFans:
- Adult models
- Fitness coaches
- Music Artists
- Social media influencers
- Travel bloggers.
- DIY bloggers.
- Beauty experts
What Makes OnlyFans Really Special and Popular?
By whatever metric one choose to use, the reality is that OnlyFans has made tremendous progress over time. With over 187 million users and 1.5 million creators, there is no gainsaying that OnlyFans has been a wonder in the world of social media.
However, there are two key things that are responsible for the popularity and overall growth of OnlyFans:
1. OnlyFans leaves the power in the hands of the creators: First, creators can put their contents behind a paywall and ensure they have 100% control. Next, they keep as much as 80% of the revenue, with OnlyFans taking just 20%. This has been a big attraction for creators who want to earn from their creative contents without any form of exploitation.
2. It has little or no restrictions: OnlyFans allows explicit sexual content which is not allowed on most other social media platforms. Because OnlyFans is by subscription only, content creators can share nude photos of themselves, live stream pornographic videos, and even virtually interact with their subscribers. These have been a major attraction for both users and sex workers.
How Much Does Creators Make From OnlyFans?
How much a creator can make on OnlyFans depends on a lot of factors including:
- The number of followers one has
- The type of contents one shares
- Type of monetization strategy one adopts
But whichever way, an average creator on OnlyFans makes about $180 monthly. Some actually makes as much as $1,000 monthly. And the high flyers makes millions monthly. In fact, it was reported that OnlyFans creators earned a total of $3.86 billion in 2021. But here is the catch, the top 1% of the creators took 33% of that amount, and the bottom 90% shared just 40%. Your job is to find way to work yourself to the top 1% and join the highest earners in OnlyFans. And it is very much possible if you can learn how to optimize your account.
How Much Does OnlyFans Take?
OnlyFans takes just 20% and allow the content creators to take 80%. This is one of the most generous you can get of any social media platform let alone one that is into Adult content. But despite this, OnlyFans has been able to achieve so much success with this model.
Conclusion on How to Make Money on OnlyFans
There are many ways of making money on OnlyFans. Whether you are a music artist, a fitness coach, into DIY tutorials, adult content or whatever, you have at least 7 different ways of making money on OnlyFans. You can earn through the regular subscription, where fans pay a monthly subscription to access your contents. You can also earn through tips, direct messaging with fans, through Affiliate marketing, going live on OnlyFans and others. The method of making money on OnlyFans depends completely on you.
But if you get your acts well, you have a chance to make a minimum of $1,000 on OnlyFans monthly.
- CRED Business Model: How Does Cred Make Money?
- Zappos Business Model: How Does Zappos Make Money?
- Bid Ask Spread Formula |How to Calculate it in Percentage
- What is Payment for Order Flow and How Does it Work?
- Flipkart business model – How Does Flipkart Make Money?
- Meesho Business Model: How it Works and How it Makes Money
- Robinhood Business Model: The Secret of Payment for Order Flow
- 25 Ideas of Making Money with PLR Products Immediately
- Why You Should Go For Second Mover Advantage